The 2021 BMW 530i xDrive mid-size sedan ranks as the standard-bearer of the German automaker’s lineup. It delivers a satisfying blend of performance, luxury, and comfort.
Standard equipment has been enhanced for the 2021 model year, led by a more powerful engine for the M550i xDrive model. A larger battery pack goes into the hybrid 530e xDrive sedan. Comfort Access entry/start system is now standard on lower trim levels.
As before, the 5-Series is available in 530e, 530i, 540i, M550i, and M5 configurations. Base 530i sedans use a 248-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo-4 engine. Stepping up a notch, the 2021 540i unleashes a turbo-6 that makes 335 hp and 331 pound-feet of torque. Acceleration to 60 mph takes about five seconds.
The M550i xDrive and the M5 both use a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8. In the M550i, the V-8 generates 523 horsepower-an increase of 67 hp. The M550i can now reach 60 mph in a snappy 3.6 seconds. Under an M5 hood, V-8 output reaches 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque. An even more potent V-8 goes into the M5 Competition.
BMW continues to offer a plug-in hybrid sedan, mating the turbo-4 engine with an electric motor and battery pack, yielding 248 horsepower. The 530e can travel about 20 miles on electric power alone.
All-wheel drive costs an additional $2,300 on every model except the M550i and M5, where it’s standard.
Safety features abound, but crash-test scores are incomplete. The NHTSA has not tested the current 5-Series. The IIHS has not evaluated the 2020 model but gave the 2019 5-Series “Good” ratings in every instrumented test.
- 2.0L I-4 Engine
- 8-spd w/OD Transmission
- 248 @ 5,200 rpm Horsepower
- 258 @ 1,450 rpm Torque
- Rear-wheel Drive type
- ABS and driveline Traction control
- 1st row regular express open/close sliding and tilting glass Sunroof
- 18″ machined w/painted accents Aluminum Wheels
- Front air conditioning, dual-zone automatic
- AM/FM/HD/Satellite-prep, seek-scan Radio
- 2 – 1st row LCD monitor
- Keyfob (all doors) Remote keyless entry
- Heated mirrors
- Windshield wipers – rain sensing
- SensaTec leatherette Seat trim
- Driver and passenger Lumbar support
- Navigation system
- Park Distance Control Parking assist